- Have you ever seen a tiger (not including a photo of one)? If so, where?
- What wild animals do you imagine live in India?
- Describe the Bengal tiger.
- What cultural or religious significance do tigers have in India?
- What are the main threats to the tiger population in India?
- Describe "Project Tiger."
- Why is it important to have predators in an ecosystem?
- Why has India set up a compensation fund for farmers whose cows are killed by a tiger?
- Why would the tiger, as a symbol of power and strength, become a coveted animal to hunt and kill?
- What predators do you think are missing from the ecosystem around your house?
- Would you be interested in going to India to see a tiger? Why or why not?
- Do you think people should be allowed to hunt wild animals?
- How do you think seeing a tiger in a zoo is different from seeing one in the wild?
- Do you think it's likely that tigers will disappear from Earth?
- Write a short story about a safari during which you actually saw a tiger. What was the experience like? How did it affect you?
- Research the tiger as a symbol in Indian culture. Who are the gods Shiva and Durga? How does the symbol of the tiger help define their character?
- Emily's trip to India might be considered "eco-tourism." In other words, she traveled to see spectacular natural places and animals instead of going to a city and shopping. How might that kind of travel help the environment? Plan your own "eco-tourist" vacation. Where would you go, and what would you want to do or see?
If there are 1 billion people in India and only 7,000 tigers, how many people are there for each tiger?