- How can security scanning at airports make flying safer?
- What might the word “waves” in the story’s title be referring to?
- Have you ever gone through an airport security gate? What did you have to do?
- What is one reason Pan Am flight 103 stands out? What got started after this tragedy?
- What is one concern about the new generation of scanning machines?
- When did airports begin security scanning?
- What gives the millimeter-wave machine its name?
- What part of the spectrum does a backscatter machine use?
- Specifically how does the millimeter-wave scanner detect what’s in your pockets?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the two new technologies described in this story?
- What does the story say about safety concerns of the new technologies?
- What is Intellifit? What is it doing?
- Why would airports need to see exactly what people are carrying under their clothes? What recent events make this a need?
- What does the word “waves” in the title of the story refer to?