1. Has anyone ever recommended a special food or drink to help you feel better when sick? What was it? Did it have any effect?
- What medicinal purpose does the mjonso plant have for members of the Tongwe tribe in Tanzania?
- Michael Huffman may have been the first university-trained scientist to observe what?
- How did the chimpanzee’s feces confirm Huffman’s hunch?
- In what way could the chemicals found in the mjonso plant help people?
- What are tannins?
- What effect do plants rich in tannins have on some intestinal parasites?
- Why would penning in livestock limit their ability to medicate themselves?
- What’s the trashy nest material source used by some birds in Mexico City?
- Provide two possible reasons for why some birds add this material to their nests.
- How does OE kill monarch butterflies?
- Why do female monarch butterflies infected with OE prefer to lay their eggs on tropical milkweed plants?
- Dogs sometimes eat grass, only to quickly vomit it back up. What is a possible explanation for this behavior? How would you design an experiment to test your hypothesis?
- Scientists say observing how animals use natural medicines can teach people important lessons. Of the examples given in this story, which animal’s use of a medicinal plant may have inspired copycat behavior by people? Provide an explanation to support your answer.
- Monarch butterflies in eastern North America migrate south for the winter, traveling on a path that takes them through Texas before reaching central Mexico. Using a map, locate the Mexican states of Mexico and Michoacán, where the butterflies overwinter. About how far would a monarch butterfly travel to reach this location if it flew from Georgia? And from Maine?
- Research the origin of aspirin. What ancient natural remedy inspired this modern medicine?
S. Oosthoek. Wild Medicine. Science News for Students. January 17, 2014.