Janet Raloff's Articles
- People want information. To get it, experts must sift through facts to find trends and other types of useful knowledge that has value.
- Teen use of cigarettes has dropped a bit in recent years. But many kids have been turning to other tobacco and tobacco-like products. And which they choose can differ sharply by gender and ethnic group.
- Get that mouse a sweater! A chilly environment suppresses the immune system in mice. This can foster cancer growth, a new study finds.
- Paleontologists debut the oldest T. rex ancestor. Weighing as much as a car and longer than a two-story building is tall, this meat eater would have been one fierce predator.
- By abandoning their coastal homes, some sharks survived an event that caused mass extinctions of other species.
- Scientists discover behemoth volcano with a footprint bigger than Massachusetts. But you can’t see this giant: It’s sleeping below the ocean waves.
Over the past year, a viral infection has infected 15 people — killing nine. All lived in the Middle East or Britain. The novel germ doe not yet have a formal name. It causes pneumonia, a type of severe lung infection. On Feb. 27, scientists from around the world met in Washington, D.C., to share what they know about the mystery illness and its threat.