- What does life require to survive? Do you think those conditions exist anywhere beyond Earth?
- Do you think life exists on other planets? Explain why or why not.
- What question has puzzled humans for centuries?
- How has our understanding of the universe changed since ancient times?
- Describe what scientists designed the Allen Telescope Array to do.
- What is an exoplanet? When was the first exoplanet discovered?
- Why would an exoplanet (or its moon) need to be at the right temperature for life to live there?
- What do extremophiles tell us about life?
- Describe where you would look for life on Europa. Why there?
- Explain what language you would use to send a message to an intelligent alien civilization.
- If aliens exist, would you expect them to be intelligent creatures or simple microbes? Explain your choice.
- “I can't imagine anything more profound than learning that it's possible to grow old as a civilization,” says Jill Tarter. What does she mean by that? (Hint: Remember, any message we receive today from an alien civilization would have been sent thousands or even millions of years ago.)
- Would the discovery of alien life change how you think about your place in the universe? Why or why not?