- Why would a scientist study beetles?
- Where can you find beetles?
- Why is Armin Moczek interested in dung beetles?
- How do male beetles use their horns?
- What is a brood ball? How do scientists make an artificial brood ball?
- Explain why horns are important for beetles in the larvae stage.
- Why does Emlen say, "Thinking about horns 'forces you to go back in time'"?
- Studying dung beetles might sound gross. How do think scientists overcome
their sense of disgust? How would you overcome it if your job involved studying
- Would you suspect that most dung beetles have horns or that most don't have
horns? Explain your reasoning.
- Some scientists study how animals hear in order to understand how people
hear. What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying animals when we want to understand people?
- How would your life be different if you had horns? Write a short story that
describes how your life would change if you woke up tomorrow and discovered you suddently had horns.
- In stories, horns are often associated with things that are evil. Why do you
think that is?